Delvena Women’s Refuge is located in Lane Cove. Delvena, provides accommodation and holistic support to women and children who have experienced domestic violence and are homeless as a result. For obvious reasons the address is not publicised to ensure the safety of the people who seek assistance from the Refuge.
It is run by Manly Warringah Women’s Resource Centre which provides a range of support services to women and their children, including crisis and transitional accommodation, early intervention support, group programs and counselling.
Lane Cove residents are very generous when In The Cove puts out a call for donations. In the Cove has been overwhelmed with people asking to donate clothes and furniture to Delvena. The problem is Delvena, has very little storage space. They do not know who is going to be walking in the door and they might need furniture for a newborn or a 16-year-old. They also have limited resources to directly handle inquiries about donations. Staff are regularly called out on urgent matters and have limited time to deal with phone inquiries and emails.
There are four ways you can help Delvena:
- Supermarket Gift Cards/Department Stores Gift Cards;
- Organise a fundraiser (Lane Cove Taekwondo raised $1140 last year with a bake sale);
- Cash Donations; or
- Sell the Furniture or Clothes you would have donated on Gumtree and then pass on the sale proceeds.
The second-hand economy is booming. Gumtree’s research has found that 89% of us are hanging onto an average of 25 unwanted goods at home, which add up to about $5200 – proving the second-hand economy is worth big bucks.
Here are some of the items you can sell:
What do you think? Would you sell your unwanted good for charity?
Do you have a local issue you would like help with? ITC is here to help just email us at [email protected]
- Sign up for the weekly In the Cove Newsletter
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Instagram @inthecove
- Tweet us on Twitter @InTheCoveITC
- Pin us on Pinterest inthecoveITC
- Tell your friends about ITC (they will thank you!!)