The final siren has sounded for both the AFL and NRL seasons. But, that does not mean your footy season or sports season is over. Several local clubs have spring/summer comps for the whole family to enjoy.
Six A Side Soccer
You’re invited to join the 2019/20 Six-a-Side Soccer season at St Ignatius’ College Riverview!
Bring your friends along for this fun and friendly Men’s Over 35s or Women’s All Age Competitions, under the backdrop of Sydney’s city skyline on Riverview’s beautiful grounds. The Competition includes 10 match days, Movember and Pink Ribbon Charity Rounds and Finals Series.
Registrations close: 16th October 2019
Men’s Competition starts: Monday 21st October 2019
Women’s Competition starts: Wednesday 23rd October 2019
Lane Cove AFL Cats – Junior AFLX
Registrations for the upcoming Junior AFLX series are open.
The AFLX North Shore competition is open to boys and girls in the U10 and U12 age groups. You will be asked to select one of four teams in each division: Flyers, Bolts, Rampage or Deadly. Each team has its only distinct playing top. However, there are only 10 spots per team, so register now to secure your spot.
AFLX is a fun and exciting modified version of Australian Football. Teams consist of 10 players – 8 on the field & 2 on the bench. There are super goals, game changers and personalised footy jumpers. Games played in under an hour!
No previous AFL experience required. And its a great way to bring new friends to the game.
Location: Gore Hill Oval
Weeks of Competition: October 23 – December 11
Time of Competition: 4.00pm-6.30pm
Age Groups: Under 10 (4 teams) and Under 12 ( 4 teams ) girls. Under 10 (4 teams) and under 12 (4 teams) boys.
Lane Cove AFL Cats – AFL 9’s
AFL 9s is the AFL’s social version of the game. It’s a fast, free-flowing game that involves 9 players on each team playing on a smaller field. Best of all, it’s ‘touch football’ with no tackling or bumping, making it suitable for people of any age or skill level. Importantly, AFL 9s is easy to play, not too physically demanding and provides an environment where fun, enjoyment and safety are a priority.
AFL 9s enables people of all ages and ability levels to participate in male, female or mixed competitions that fit around their busy lives and provide a social and fitness outlet.
The spring season of AFL9s will be held on Blackman Park starting Thursday 17 October.
Games will be played on the synthetic field at Blackman Park. Starting times will vary, but will be played between 6:45pm and 8:45pm.
For those who haven’t played before, AFL9s is a social, touch only version of AFL football. It is played outdoors on a rectangular field and requires the usual AFL skills, minus the tackling. You can kick goals, lay off a quick handball and take a diving mark. You can learn about the game and its rules by going to the AFL9s website. In the past, this has been the most popular season for this non-contact version of AFL.
Lane Cove Summer 7’s Rugby Union
NEW SEASON STARTS 18th October – 6th December 2019
LEARN THE GAME – 18th October – Blackman Park 5:30pm – 7pm
COMPETITION GAMES – 25th October – 6th December 2019 5pm – 8:45pm
Register a new team, join an existing team or just register as an individual and we will assign you to a most suitable team.
- $100 x 1 player
- $270 x 3 players same family
- $340 x 4 players same family
- Playing Shirt additional $20 or FREE Shirt Swap available. You will be able to Order your shirt during registration and pay on pickup.
All children are placed against competing teams according to age. Age groups will be select based on DOB and Gender. Age groups include:
• Under 8’s
• Under 10’s
• Under 12’s
• Under 14’s
• Under 16’s
• Adults – Competitive; or
• Adults – Just for Fun.
You can view all the competition rules https://playsport.com/summer7s/rules
Children aged 7-16 will be 5/5:30pm to 7:30pm
Adults aged 16+ will be 6pm to 8:45pm
Players per game are 7 a side, with suggested 10 players per team.
Please contact Haley either through PlaySport messaging or email [email protected]
Greenwich Baths – Beach Safety Programme
Season 1 times (sorted by Year of Birth)
|Book||Time||Year of Birth|
|Book||8:00am||2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016|
|Book||8:30am||2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016|
|Book||9:00am||2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016|
|Full||9:30am||2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015|
|Book||10:00am||2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015|
Class times released – Tuesday 3rd December Online registrations open – Tuesday 10th December Week 1 – Sunday 2nd February Week 8 – Sunday 22nd March – Carnival Day To be added to the mailing list please email [email protected]
Program information and Cost
- The program includes a 30 minute class where beach familiarisation, activity and fun are the main goals.
- Classes are grouped by ‘year of birth’ and include beach-based activities, races and games.
- We strongly encourage students to stay after class for a swim to increase their confidence in the water.
- Student to teacher ratios are strict at a maximum of 1 teacher to every 8 students, with at least one extra instructor floating between groups. This ratio is dropped further to 1 to 7 for the 2014 classes, 1 to 6 for 2015, and 1 to 5 for the 2016 class. A 2017 class will be added in February 2020.
- The cost is $144 for an 8-week season
- There are no spectator fees payable for any family or friends
- Students are allowed complimentary entry to the Greenwich Baths during the season
- Students of either season receive free entry to the end of season Beach Safety Carnival.
- Please note that classes are on no matter what the weather and water conditions are like.
- If water pollution is possible or likely, beach-only activities will be run
- Also note, it is compulsory that parents or a guardian remain on site during the class.
- One x $100 Active Kids voucher per student is able to be used per season booking. Voucher numbers are collected in the registration process
What to bring:
- Swimmers – Beach Safety swimmers are available for purchase however not compulsory
- Rash shirt – Beach Safety rash shirts are available for purchase however not compulsory
- Sun screen
- Water bottle
- Warm clothes for after the session. This is really important so children don’t catch colds.
- Greenwich Baths Beach Safety cap, which is compulsory for all children to wear each session. These are available for purchase in the online enrolment or at the café.
- Please ensure you arrive early, as parking is a premium.
Not into organised sport, but want to exercise? http://fit.com.au/studioone/
Coming soon… Exhale Reformer by Fit Lane Cove.
This October Fit Lane Cove will be introducing a brand new space, with 16 Reformer Pilates beds and over 35 classes per week.
Become a Reformer Foundation member today and enjoy no joining fee, access to all Exhale classes including Yoga, Pilates, Barre and Meditation and all FIT Lane Cove club classes and facilities. Find out more at fit.com.au/exhale-reformer
There is also an 2 week free trial offer.
Fit Lane Cove is an ITC Platinum Sponsor.
Lane Cove Activities for 0 to 5
Want some activities to get your little one moving? Check out our 0 to 5 Activities Guide – the activities are grouped by day so you can work out what suits your timetable.
Where did you hear that? On ITC of course!!
In the Cove publishes new content every day. It could be an article, an event, a job or local info. To make sure you don’t miss this info sign up to our newsletter. It comes out every Wednesday Night at 7.30pm and includes a wrap up of everything posted on our Facebook site in the previous week.
Read this week’s newsletter