- This event has passed.
Boro Bags with Rhonda Pryor
30 March 2019 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm$170
Using vintage Japanese indigo-dyed cottons and other old, used fabrics, spend a few hours slow-stitching a beautiful, fully lined, drawstring Japanese boro-style rice bag. All materials and equipment will be provided, as well as resource sheets. We’ll be machine-stitching the bag lining in between hand slow-stitching patchwork panels, chatting and sharing stories. Participants will:
– Enhance their perceptions of design, contrast, and composition
– Enjoy the meditative calm that repetitive stitching can produce
– Develop an understanding of upcycling and sustainable practices while learning about the history of Japanese boro textiles
– Learn to embrace the imperfect, appreciate stains, holes and faults, and enjoy a unique creative journey.
– Some hand- and machine-sewing experience is helpful, although not essential.
The workshop price includes $30 of materials including vintage Japanese cottons, reclaimed fabrics, cording, thread, sashiko thread and embroidery thread.
Minimum 5 students required to procced.