We love featuring Lane Cove Locals who are making a difference. Today we would like to introduce you to Kelly Andersen.
Kelly Andersen, is a Lane Cove local who has a passion for ensuring all young people have access to education – not just those who parents can afford it. In August 2016, Kelly will be trekking parts of the Larapinta Trail in Central Australia to raise money for The Smith Family’s Learning for Life program.
What is Learning for Life?
For one in ten Australian children growing up disadvantaged, it can limit their choices, opportunities, and outcomes in life. Investing in the education of a disadvantaged child delivers positive long-term benefits for them, their family and potentially generations to come.
The Smith Family’s Learning for Life program recognises that disadvantaged children need extra support to stay at school and go on to further studies or a job. Learning for Life helps create better futures for children in need by providing:
- financial assistance from a sponsor to help disadvantaged families afford the cost of their child’s education;
- support from a Learning for Life Program Coordinator to connect the child and their family to local learning opportunities and other supports; and
- access to Smith Family educational programs to help children get the most out of their school years.
Why is Kelly So Passionate about Learning for Life?
Kelly is a secondary school teacher and a Smith Family Sponsor. Kelly knows from first-hand experience that keeping a child at school is the best chance a child has to avoid a lifetime of disadvantage.
How can you help Kelly in her fundraising journey?
You can sponsor Kelly’s trek. This trek will be a physical and emotional challenge for Kelly – it has been quite a long while since she has completed a multi-day hike, and she will miss her adventuring partner – her wonderful husband, Marcus. You can keep up-to-date with Kelly’s training and find out about other ways you can be involved by following the Larapinta Trail Challenge Facebook page at www.facebook.com/kellyslarapintachallege.
You can also donate or assist in fundraising by:
- Donating on Kelly’s EveryDay Hero Fundraising page; or
- You can come along to a fun Trivia and Bingo night at The Orchard Tavern on 19th March at 7 pm. You can book via this link www.trybooking.com/KDZE. The night is hosted by Dolly Pardon (you have got to be happy with that) and includes games, canapes and light-hearted entertainment all for just $20.00 per head.
If you want to find out more about other Lane Cove locals making a difference for children you may want to read our post on Got a Pen
We love interviewing Lane Cove people or people with a strong Lane Cove connection, if you know anyone we should interview, please email us at [email protected]
Do you have a question about Lane Cove you are dying to have answered? Please send us an email at [email protected]