Over the years, ITC has on numerous occasions, reported about bikes being stolen from Lane Cove garages. Some of these bikes have been very expensive bikes!! Garages in Apartment/Unit blocks seem to be a bicycle theft hotspot. How do you take steps to track down your bike if it is stolen?
National Bike Register
The number of bikes in Australia has increased with a market growth of an average of 20% per annum. There has also been an influx of high-end bikes. This has, in turn, led to a rise in bike thefts. In 2015, 5 800 bikes were reported stolen in New South Wales.
The National Bike Register allows owners to log information about their bicycles and bike parts into a database, developed and maintained by Data Dot Technology Ltd, for free. Under the initiative, when a registered bicycle is stolen, the owner can report the theft to Crime Stoppers and police can access the National Bike Register for identification details. Another huge benefit is that this will create a “Chain of Custody” for the property. In the event that someone wishes to sell his or her bike, the true and rightful owner can be verified.
Stolen Bikes Australia
Another resource for people who have had a bike stolen is Stolen Bikes Australia – This website is owned and operated by Stolen Bicycles Australia Ltd (SBA). SBA is a non-profit organisation, founded in late 2015 by avid bike riders and former police. The SBA team are passionate about countering bike theft in Australia and are experienced in assisting victims and police to locate, identify and recover stolen bikes.
Report Thefts Online
If your bicycle is stolen you can report the theft online – details of the online reporting system are here.
It is also worth checking out sites likes E-bay and Gumtree. There have been media reports of people finding their stolen bikes on Gumtree. There has been a call by some for Gumtree and similar sites to be regulated in the same way as pawn shops to cut down the trade of stolen goods.
Buy a Bike
If you want to buy a bike in Lane Cove, there are two independent bike stores you could support:
Do you have a local issue you would like help with? ITC is here to help, just email us at email@example.com
- Sign up for the weekly In the Cove Newsletter or by completing the Newsletter sign up form at the bottom of our homepage.
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Instagram @inthecove
- Tweet us on Twitter @InTheCoveITC
- Pin us on Pinterest inthecoveITC
- Check out our Lane Cove fab events here
- Tell your friends about ITC (they will thank you!!). Remember to tell them that ITC is a website and they do not have to have access to any social media apps to enjoy ITC – we often speak to people who tell us they want to follow ITC but don’t have Facebook or Instagram account (you don’t need them).