It’s Foodie Tuesday, and the ITC team love a good wrap! This one, which is available at Cafe Geo in Lane Cove North, looks the goods!!
Cafe Geo’s Vegeo Wrap is a definite crowd pleaser. This delicious Vegetarian breakfast, lunch or just a snack wrap has fresh ingredients locally sourced from Lime Leaf Fruit Shop in Lane Cove all wrapped up with a Mediterranean twist.
Zaartar bread which is a well-known staple for the Middle Eastern culture, is freshly made at Café Geo. The smell of the Zaartar bread (which is essentially a mix of Thyme, Oregano and other spices ) in the oven, takes us back to our childhood days when grandma would make this for breakfast and put on a breakfast spread on Sundays.
Geo’s take on this authentic dish is the Vegeo Wrap with fresh tomatoes, cucumber, Spanish onion and labni all wrapped up in the fresh Zaartar bread.
Zaartar Bread Recipe
Note: You can substitute oregano for za’atar, but use less
- 3 cups warm water
- 1 (.25 ounce) package yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour, or more if needed
- 2 cups olive oil
- 1 cup corn oil
- 2 cups fresh za’atar
- Add all ingredients to list
Prep Time: 30 mins Cook 25 mins
Ready in 55 mins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Mix water, yeast, salt, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, olive oil, and corn oil; mix using your hands, adding more whole wheat flour if needed, until dough holds together. Mix za’atar into dough until evenly incorporated (see notes).
- Shape dough, about 1/4 cup per piece, into rounds on a floured work surface. Arrange rounds on baking sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven until lightly browned, about 25 minutes.
Do you have a local issue you would like help with? ITC is here to help just email us at email@example.com
- Sign up for the weekly In the Cove Newsletter
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Instagram @inthecove
- Tweet us on Twitter @InTheCoveITC
- Pin us on Pinterest inthecoveITC
- Tell your friends about ITC (they will thank you!!). Remember to tell them that ITC is a website and they do not have to have access to any Social Media to enjoy ITC – we often speak to people who tell us they want to follow ITC but don’t have Facebook or Instagram account (you don’t need them)