Lane Cove Community Recycling Centre
The Community Recycling Centre located at 8 Waltham Street in Artarmon and is a one-stop-shop for safely disposing of problem household wastes such as paint, gas bottles, e-waste or motor oil and more. In other words, problem wastes that can’t be collected via council kerbside waste or recycling collection services all year round.
It is a free service and the Community Recycling Centre is conveniently located at 8 Waltham Street Artarmon.
What is the Most Popular Product to Recycle?
- Oil; and
- Gas Cylinders.
When is the Facility Open?
The CRC is open Monday, Tuesday, and Friday from 8am-2pm and weekends from 8am-4pm. It is not open on Public Holidays.
What Items Can Be Dropped Off for Recycling?
- Paints are mixed with other waste solvents and used as an alternative to fuel in cement kilns. The metal paint containers are recycled.
- Lead and acid batteries are sent to recyclers where the lead, acid and plastic are recovered and recycled.
- Gas cylinders have any remaining gas recovered, and the steel is sent for recycling. Many cylinders are retested and recycled into the hire market.
- Fluorescent tubes and globes contain mercury. Tube recycling involves crushing the tubes to separate the phosphor powder from the glass. The powder is fed through receiving containers with a filtering process to capture any fugitive mercury emissions. The mercury is then processed for separation by distillation and sold for a range of industrial uses. The glass and metals remaining from the process are also recycled.
- Gas bottles have any residual gas captured for reuse. Undamaged bottles are retested, restamped and entered into the hire industry. Damaged bottles are punctured and recycled as scrap metal.
- Used oils are processed to become a lubricant or used for waste to energy.
- Fire Extinguishers
- Electronic Waste (eg. computers, TVs, electronic equipment and small electrical appliances) White goods are not accepted.
- Smoke detectors
- Mobile phones
- X-ray films
For more information call 9936 8100 or visit the EPA Recycling Centre pages.
So this weekend, get into your garage and get rid of all those old paint cans, gas cylinders, and batteries (you know you have them) and head off to the Community Recycling Centre.
Are You Looking to Buy or Sell in Lane Cove?
In The Cove is now producing a weekly Lane Cove Property Update. See our latest update here.
If you are selling, ask your agent if they are an ITC Lane Cove Property Guide supporter.