Welcome to our week in review.
Parking Changes near Lane Cove Council Building
Lane Cove Council has reclaimed part of the outdoor parking near the Lane Cove Council building. The Public was allowed to use it for parking while The Canopy was being built. The public is no longer allowed to park in this area between 6 am and 6 pm. The public is requested to park in the Little Street Car Park. (see our cover photo)
Our picture below shows the sight that greeted staff at St Michael’s several times last week. Before you chuck it out, check to see if items can be recycled or donated. Check out our A to Z of recycling in Lane Cove here.
New Business Alert
Running Bare has closed, and a new Pizza shop will open in its place.
Several people have posted on Lane Cove Chat by ITC about an NBN scam that is happening at the moment. One person posted the following.
“We have been contacted today by someone claiming to be from NBN, advising that our internet is not secure, and will be disconnected for maintenance. We were then asked to follow their steps on our computer keyboard. When asked for an address, they advised they were from Melbourne. Then when asked for a contact number hung up. Having researched, this is a scam, beware.”
ITC’s Lane Cove January Podcast is Out
In our first 2021 episode, we interview two Lane Cove Locals who wrote books that teens and parents should read. Find out more here.
Help In the Cove Grow
In the Cove wants to employ local people, we want to bring even more news to you, and we need your help. Become an In The Cove member, and we have a little gift for you (our very own reusable masks sourced from a Lane Cove business). To find out how to help here and how to get your reusable mask, hurry as stocks are limited.
The following local jobs have been advertised this week:
Apprentice – Alerts Locks & Security – More details here.
Lane Cove Council Cultural Officer – More details here
Lane Cove Public School Canteen Assistant – More details here
HealthSpace Clinic Assistant – More details here
Support National Backyard Cricket Day
A Lane Cove local is involved in the Batting For change Day. Batting for Change* is excited to introduce the inaugural National Backyard Cricket Day as the newest event on the cricket calendar in 2021.
National Backyard Cricket Day is a day for all Australians to take time out with their family and friends, enjoy a game of cricket in the backyard, the street, at the beach or the local park.
The official date for National Backyard Cricket Day is 31st January 2021. However games can be hosted anytime throughout the month of January. Registrations are now open, so go to nationalbackyardcricket.com to register your game, and then have fun playing cricket with your family and friends.
It’s really easy to participate; all you need to do is:
- Go to www.nationalbackyardcricket.com
- Click REGISTER, enter your details & donate.
- Play your game of backyard cricket
If you don’t want to hold a backyard cricket game, you can also donate to National Backyard Cricket on our website.
Participants in National Backyard Cricket Day will be supporting country Australian libraries via our partnership with Friends of Libraries Australia, as well as tertiary education projects in cricket-playing nations around the world.
Register, donate and more at www.nationalbackyardcricket.com
* Batting for Change, is the cricket events and fundraising arm of The LBW Trust, a national charitable organisation. Charity donations of $2 or more to the LBW Trust may be tax-deductible in Australia.
Lane Cove Netball Registration
Registration for Lane Cove Netball has opened. Anyone from any school is welcome to play for LCNC.
Which Registration is right for you?*
1. NetSetGO (Games – Sunday mornings)
- Female AND male players aged 7 to 9 years
- Cost – $285 Registration includes Training, Administration and Insurance.
- Volunteer parents primarily coach NetSetGO under the guidance of our head coach; please register your interest during registration.
2. JUNIOR NSNA (Games – Friday afternoon/night and Saturday mornings)
- Female players who are 10 to 16 years
- Male players who are 10 to 12 years
- Cost: $303 Registration includes Coaches, Training, Administration, Umpire fees and Insurance.
3. SENIOR NSNA (Games – Saturdays)
- Female players who are 17+ years
- Cost – $303 Registration includes Coaches, Training, Administration, Umpire fees and Insurance.
4. SENIOR SOCIAL NSNA without training/coaching (Games – Saturdays)
- Female players who are 18+ years
- Cost – $275 Registration includes Administration, Umpire fees and Insurance.
- You must register for the full-priced senior competition and add this discount code to your order in the discount section for Senior Social. *SENIORSocialCompetition*
5. Non-Player NSNA
- For coaches and umpires who are not playing in the 2021 Winter Competition at NSNA.
- Cost – $50
*Must be correct age by the 31st December in the year of play. Final day/time allocations for games are made once NSNA grades teams.
Transaction Fees Apply. Once registrations close, we can only offer a partial refund for the cost of registration.
Lane Cove Football Club
A Lane Cove teenager has been charged over an altercation at Fairlight (between Delwood and Fairlight Beach) earlier this month which saw one man hit his head on rocks, requiring emergency brain surgery. The Manly Observer reported the 26-year-old was discharged from the hospital this week. Read more here.
Car Break-ins were recorded in Riverview and Lane Cove North.
Local News At Your Fingertips
In the Cove is run by locals. It is the only online hyperlocal news and media business based in Lane Cove. We provide local free news – we do not have a paywall and will never have a paywall.
Lane Cove Chat by ITC – Chat with other Lane Cove locals about local issues, lost pets, local info and more on our closed Lane Cove Facebook group. We closely monitor membership, to make sure (as much as possible) that members either live or work in Lane Cove.
Instagram – Follow our adventures around Lane Cove as we snap our lovely leafy Lane Cove.