Lane Cove Council residents can now conveniently recycle more household items without leaving home. In partnership with RecycleSmart, Lane Cove Council residents can now have items such as textiles, batteries, soft plastics, and e-waste collected directly from their front door and recycled locally for free.
If you live in the Lane Cove North area, located in the Willoughby City Council LGA, you can also use RecycleSmart.
Powered by a user-friendly smartphone app, RecycleSmart is a convenient solution to a challenging issue. Until now, many household items could not be recycled in the yellow bins for kerbside collection.
The RecycleSmart pilot program will complement the existing kerbside collection in Lane Cove by managing four major categories of household waste:
- Soft Plastics
- E-waste (electronics, mobile devices)
- Textiles (clothing, fabrics)
- Small household items (batteries, light globes, coffee pods and many more)
- Soft plastics: Plastic that can be scrunched (place in a closed plastic bag)
- E-waste: Small electronics, appliances, batteries and mobile phones
- Textiles in good condition including clothing, shoes, bags, towels, bed linen
- Textiles in non-reusable condition: clothes and bed linen that cannot be reused (separate and clearly label your wearable and non-wearable textiles)
- Sneakers and other sports shoes (separate and clearly label your wearable and non-wearable shoes)
- Takeaway coffee cups and lids emptied, rinsed and separated
- Books, toys and CDs/DVDs in good condition
- Aluminium coffee pods in a sealed plastic bag
- Empty cosmetics and skincare or haircare packaging
- Lightbulbs, paint (sealed), gas bottles, fire extinguishers, x-ray films, printer cartridges and all other items usually accepted by our Community Recycling Centre.
- And more, find the full list on the Recycle Smart website here.
Previously, to properly recycle these items, residents were required to take separate recyclables to various locations, including retail stores or recycling centres. Without a home collection service, many of these recyclable items ended up in the red general rubbish bin for kerbside collection, destined for landfill. Up to 20 per cent of the average red bin contains items that could be recycled.
ITC is so pleased to see RecycleSmart in the Lane Cove Area. We first approach RecycleSmart in 2013 and asked them to approach the Lane Cove Council. Since that time we have asked several different councillors to put RecycleSmart on the Sustainability Committee agenda. ITC is booking our first pick-up asap.
How Does It Work?
Residents can book their Power Pickup in three steps.
- Download the RecycleSmart app (or visit the website)
- Gather the recyclable items and leave up to two bags of recyclables at their door
- Book their collection with three quick clicks on the app (or website).
A local, friendly driver will come and collect them, ensuring every item is properly recycled.
RecycleSmart has diverted in the last 3 years over 278,300 kilos of recyclable materials from landfill, collecting over 153,000 bags.
“We are here to change the way people feel about recycling, so they recycle more things, more often. We achieve that by making recycling digital, fun and easy. We believe recycling should be something you look forward to doing.” says Giorgio Baracchi, CEO and co-founder of RecycleSmart.
One-Off Power Pick Up When You Have Done a Big Clean Out
Lane Cove Residents in Lane Cove LGA
Lane Cove Council Residents can book an on-demand pickup for $5 per bag.
Lane Cove North and Willoughby City Council residents can book an on-demand pickup for $2 a bag.
Get your Bottles and Can (and a refund) Without Leaving Home with Lane Cove Earn and Return
You can also recycle bottles and cans and get a refund without leaving home – Lane Cove Return and Earn has an easy to use system that means you don’t have to feed a machine. More Details here.