In the Cove loves to meet Lane Cove locals with new and BIG ideas. We recently met Lane Cove local Jeff Williams who has developed a website called Barcats to help the hospitality industry with finding casual trained staff. Jeff describes his website as “the future of hospitality recruitment”
We asked Jeff the following:
What is Barcats?
In a nutshell:
For Staff, Barcats helps you find work when YOU want it.
For Hospitality Businesses, Barcats helps you find staff when YOU need them.
Jeff told ITC that soon hospitality businesses will no longer need to worry about expensive recruiter fees, or posting lengthy job ads online, as Barcats makes finding ready-trained, flexible staff easy.
Jeff knows what he is talking about! He has worked in the alcohol industry for a number of years, including global and local roles with Diageo. He noticed a gap in the market for a digital service that allows venues to find staff as they’re needed and Barcats was born.
Barcats is all about providing businesses and staff with flexible options. Businesses can look for staff for one night or all week, while students and travelers, looking for flexible work, can pick shifts as they desire.
Barcats aims to solve the age-old issue of staff not turning up when they’re supposed to or for people not wanting to commit to full-time work or looking for shifts to fit in around another job or study. Anyone in the hospitality industry can register from wait staff to baristas, cleaners, security, kitchenhands, and chefs.
If you want to only work locally, it will be easy to find local hospitality jobs. Like Uber, Barcats will display jobs by location and rating. If a local business only wants to hire local staff (great idea) then the business can target staff who live in the local area.
How Does Barcats Work for Businesses?
Venues/Businesses simply sign-up to Barcats for a small fee each month.
|Venue/Business Size||Cost Per Month*|
|Ten Staff or Less||$30.00|
|Between 10 – 100 Staff||$60.00|
|Business with Multiple Locations||$90.00|
*Barcats is running a two-month free trial, so if you sign up now, when the website launches on 1 July 2017 you will receive two months free.
For this monthly fee, business owners and managers will have their own profile and access to potential staff profiles. The Business selects the person they want to engage and must pay them within seven days.
Why Use Barcats?
If you are a buisness, Barcats aims to provide:
- Short Term Staffing Solutions;
- Staff on Demand – no longer having to deal with temp agencies;
- Easy Roster Scheduling – businesses no longer need a long casuals list to contact when staff are on annual leave or sick;
- Easy to read staff profiles;
- Access to trained staff with the relevant certifications;
- If you find an ideal employee through Barcats and want to offer them a full-time job, there is NO placement fee; and
- Staff rated by other employers (like you see on Air BnB and Uber).
If you are looking for a job, Barcats are creating a community for hospitality workers where they can connect both online and offline with other hospitality employees. There are also other advantages such as:
- No Registration Fee;
- Ability to pick one shift or many shifts;
- Work when you want and in your desired location;
- You might be working 9 to 5, but want some extra cash (think housing affordability or overseas trip), you can register for shifts that suit your schedule;
- Prospective Employer rated by other hospitality employees (like you see on Air BnB and Uber);
- Access to training by leading suppliers such as Diageo, Lion and Treasury Wines with many others to come;
- Access to Responsible Services of Alcohol Courses or Responsible Conduct of Gambling courses; and
- Access to exclusive events.
When Does the Website Launch?
Barcats goes live on 1 July 2017 and will initially be available for businesses in Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane. You can register NOW.
How Long Have You Lived in Lane Cove?
My family has lived in the Lane Cove area for 10 years and we love it. After spending time working overseas, you really appreciate how much Lane Cove has to offer and how close it is to the CBD.
What Do You Like Best About Living in Lane Cove?
We love the Lane Cove Village atmosphere. We enjoy dining out at the numerous cafes and restaurants in the Village and of course sipping coffee at one of the fab cafes especially NIBU. After living overseas for a long time, you really appreciate leafy Lane Cove.
ITC really enjoyed meeting Jeff.
ITC regularly receives requests from parents asking about local jobs in Lane Cove for their kids (especially after HSC finishes or School/Uni Holidays)– sign them up now they can pick and choose shifts.
Barcats Contact Details
Do you have a local issue you would like help with? ITC is here to help just email us at [email protected]
- Sign up for the weekly In the Cove Newsletter
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Instagram @inthecove
- Tweet us on Twitter @InTheCoveITC
- Pin us on Pinterest inthecoveITC
- Tell your friends about ITC (they will thank you!!). Remember to tell them that ITC is a website and they do not have to have access to any Social Media to enjoy ITC – we often speak to people who tell us they want to follow ITC but don’t have Facebook or Instagram account (you don’t need them)