A highlight on the Lane Cove Calendar is the Jesuit Mission’s Indian Bazaar held every year in September at St Ignatius College Riverview.
More than 5,000 people of all ages will flock to the event for a day of activities, bargains, rides, music, shows, raffles, prizes, food, spruiking and all out fun. Although the event is sure to be a crowd pleaser, it is about much more than just entertainment and enjoyment on the day.
Now in its 66th year, all funds raised from the annual event go to support Jesuit Mission’s community development work in over ten countries across Asia and Africa.
Helen Forde, CEO of Jesuit Mission, says:
“The Bazaar is our major fundraising event of the year. The money raised on the day funds a substantial portion of our work. For example, the funds raised from the event last year could cover our projects in four countries in Africa.
“This year, Jesuit Mission is supporting over 30 projects which enable children, women and men to improve their lives and build better futures. Our projects prioritise the most vulnerable such as Indigenous and Tribal groups; people who are refugees, seeking asylum, displaced or imprisoned; people living with disabilities; families who face inequality and live in poverty; and other minority groups living on the margins.
“However, the work of Jesuit Mission is only made possible through the dedication and support of the Jesuit community of supporters here in Australia. The Indian Bazaar sees individuals generously contributing their time, skills and talent to raise funds for our brothers and sisters who live on the margins. It is an expression of faith in action.”
Although the event is held at one school (St Ignatius Riverview), the Bazaar is very much a part of the entire Sydney Jesuit community. The school kindly donates the use of their fabulous facilities and the old boys sell a mean ham!!
It is a must do event if you love rides, hamburgers, scones, champers and oysters and much more.
Date: 9 September 2017
Time: 9am – 5pm
Address: St Ignatius College 1 Tambourine Bay Road Riverview
Saturday 9th September is also Local Council Election Day – Don’t forget to vote before you go to the Bazaar.
By the way….
- Do you think Lane Cove needs a commuter bus to assist people to access the Lane Cove shops during the Rosenthal Avenue Car Park redevelopment? You can answer our survey here.
- Do you want to find out who is running for the Local Government Elections on 9 September (and maybe ask them some questions on infrastructure?). Come along to our free Meet the Candidates forum on 31 August 2017. You can book here.
Do you have a local issue you would like help with? ITC is here to help just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sign up for the weekly In the Cove Newsletter
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Instagram @inthecove
- Tweet us on Twitter @InTheCoveITC
- Pin us on Pinterest inthecoveITC
- Tell your friends about ITC (they will thank you!!). Remember to tell them that ITC is a website and they do not have to have access to any Social Media to enjoy ITC – we often speak to people who tell us they want to follow ITC but don’t have Facebook or Instagram account (you don’t need them)