Ultimate Guide to Reporting Lane Cove Local Issues

In the Cove receives many queries about how to report a local issue. To assist you with reporting vandalism, pot holes, street lighting, graffiti or reporting issues with rubbish collection or neighbourhood noise we have put together a comprehensive list of contacts. You might want to bookmark this page.

Lane Cove Council

Most local issues will need to be reported to the Lane Cove Council.

Rubbish Collections

If you have any issues with rubbish collection contact Lane Cove Council’s Waste Solutions Hotline on 1300 655 006. It is advisable to report a missed collection after 3pm on the day of the scheduled collection (sometimes vehicles break down or there are delays). Bins will not be collected if the lid is not closed.

Your waste collection days can be found here.

Illegal Rubbish Dumping

If you see any rubbish which has been illegal dumped you can report it to council by calling 9911 3555 or by filling out this online form.


Dog and Cat Registration

To register dogs and cats or change registration details, fill out the forms here.

Aggressive or Attacking Dogs

To find out how what to do if you are worried about an aggressive dog click here.

Lost or Found Dogs

There are steps you can take to assist in locating a lost dog or cat  – find our more here.

If your pet is lost you should contact all the local vets and also post a lost and found notice on In the Cove.

Barking Dogs

All local councils have statutory powers to deal with barking dogs. Under the Companion Animals Act 1998, a council officer can issue a nuisance order to the owner declaring the dog a nuisance if it barks or makes another noise that keeps occurring or continues to such a degree that it unreasonably disturbs neighbours.

For example, if you complain about a noisy dog, the council officer can investigate to substantiate your complaint. This may include collecting evidence such as written statements from neighbours, asking you to keep a diary of when the noise occurs, and visiting the property where the dog is kept (check with your council about what evidence is required).

If the complaint is substantiated, the officer can issue a nuisance order. Before doing so, the owner of the dog must be given prior notice of the officer’s intention to issue a nuisance order. The notice must specify what aspects of the dog’s behaviour need to change to prevent the disturbance from continuing. It must also inform the owner of their right to object to the proposed order, and that the objection must be in writing and submitted within 7 days of the notice being issued. If an objection is received, the officer must then consider whether it is appropriate to issue the order. Once an order is issued, it remains in force for six months and cannot be appealed against.

If the owner does not comply with the order, the offender is liable for a fine of up to $880 for the first offence and $1650 for the second and each subsequent offence.

To report a barking dog call 9911 3555 or by fill out this online form.

Blocked or Broken Drains

If the drain is dangerous, immediately ring Council on 9911 3555

Abandoned Vehicles and Illegal Parking

A vehicle is considered to be abandoned if it located on a public street and it’s not registered. If the vehicle is registered council will only take action if the vehicle is parked in a dangerous spot. You can report abandoned vehicles to council by calling 9911 3555 or by filling out this online form.

Boat Trailer Parking

New rules have now been implemented in relation to boat trailer parking. A boat must not be parked in the same area for more than 28 days. You can find out more about these new rules here.



If you come across a swooping Magpie, it is a good idea to notify others in the area. Find out how you can do this here.

Indian Myna Birds

These birds are territorial and highly aggressive who compete with and displace native wildlife for habitat areas. They take over tree hollows and plug up nest sites they are not using, forcing possums and birds out and ejecting nestlings and eggs from their nests. They also compete with native fauna for food and habitat.

Specialised pest control services can be used to help control and eradicate pests such as Indian Mynas. Controls can include baiting, trapping and bird scare techniques as well as built or engineered solutions to prevent access to a building.

For any further information or enquiries please contact Council’s Environmental Health Officer on 99113626 or email lccouncil@lanecove.nsw.gov.au.

Feral Animals

From time to time you may see a feral animal in Lane Cove, the most common feral animal spotted in Lane Cove are foxes. If you see a fox:

  • Contact Lane Cove Council on 9911 3555;
  • You can record fox sightings on Foxscan. FoxScan is a community website that allows you to record and map sightings of foxes, fox damage in your local area; or
  • Download the FeralScan app on either iTunes or Android and record sightings of foxes or other feral animals in Lane Cove.

You can find out more here


Trees on Public Land

If you see a dangerous branch or tree, that is not on private property, you can report it to council. Lane Cove Council has a very conservative approach to trees and have developed Tree Preservation Regulatory Controls which aim to retain as many healthy trees as possible.

The general rule of thumb is that if the street tree is on public property and its branches overhang powerlines or the tree is located within 3 metres of power lines then Ausgrid is responsible for determining if it requires trimming or removal. Only Ausgrid’s authorised contractors are allowed to remove trees or branches near live wires and they will be required to respond in the first instance, prior to Council. To report street tree maintenance near power lines you can complete the reporting form on Ausgrid’s website www.ausgrid.com.au/treetrimming.

In the case of an emergency involving power lines do not fill out the online form – instead, contact Ausgrid immediately on 13 13 88.

Trees on Private Land

If there are dangerous branches or trees on your property you must contact council and obtain their permission to cut down the tree. You only need to obtain Council’s permission to cut down, reshape, or lop any tree over a height exceeding 4 metres, with a trunk diameter greater than 150mm (measured at 1 metre above the ground).

passing thr buck dead-tree-two

If a tree is lying over a road or in a very dangerous position contact the SES (see storm damage below).


Graffiti on Private Land

Lane Cove Council will not assist in removing Graffiti from your property. However, if you report this Graffiti to Vandaltrak they will monitor tags etc and liaise with authorities. You can contact them here http://www.vandaltrak.com.au/System.aspx

Graffiti on Public Land

However, if the Graffiti is on Council property they will respond. There is a special Village Graffiti Reduction Program in place which aims to maintain main village precincts ambiance by ensuring graffiti is removed promptly reducing adverse economic impact on Lane Cove businesses. Graffiti is removed at no cost to the business, however, the graffiti must be able to be accessed from a public place (accessible from the street etc.).

Report graffiti and request removal here.

If the graffiti is on Council property, please call the Council Graffiti hotline on 9911 3606.

For removal of Graffiti in other public areas please contact the relevant agency: –

  • Adshel Bus Shelter – 1800 501 402.
  • Australia Post, Property Management –131 318
  • Sydney Water, Property Management – 9350 5111
  • Energy Australia – 1300 306 541 or 9269 4747
  • State Transit Authority, Ryde Depot – 9941 6814
  • Telstra – 4645 4966
  • CityRail – 8202 2000

Lane Cove Council Parks

If play equipment is damaged or there is an issue with a local park or you see rubbish which has been illegal dumped you can report it to council by calling 9911 3555 or by filling out this online form.

Out of Hours Building Works

It can be extremely noisy when building work is carried on out of hours. The permitted hours are below:

Houses and Commercial

All demolition, building construction work, including earthworks, deliveries of building materials to and from the site to be restricted to the following hours:

  • Monday to Friday (inclusive) – 7.00am to 5.30pm
  • Saturday – 7.00am to 4.00pm

No work to be carried out on Sundays or any public holidays.

Multi Unit Developments

For all all multi unit developments in the Lane Cove area, Council has imposed additional restrictions:

All demolition, building construction work, including earthworks, deliveries of building materials to and from the site to be restricted as follows:-

  • Monday to Friday (inclusive) – 7am to 5.30pm
  • Saturday  – 8am to 12noon with no excavation, haulage truck movement, rock picking, sawing, jack hammering or pile driving to be undertaken. 

No work to be carried out on Sundays or any public holidays.

Any building work carried out, outside these hours can be reported calling 9911 3555.


Most roads within the Lane Cove area are Lane Cove Council’s responsibility. You should report any potholes, oil spills, damaged roads, and unsafe footpaths and nature strips. You can report an issue to council by calling 9911 3555 or by filling out this online form.

Air Pollution

Air pollution can include issues with wood fire heaters and backyard burning. Most other air pollution issues are covered by the EPA. You can find out how to report an issue with the EPA here.

smokey chimeny


Odours from a small business, restaurant, food outlet, residential premises or fumes from spray painting should be reported to the Lane Cove Council. You can report an issue to council by calling 9911 3555 or by filling out this online form.

All other odours should be reported to the EPA here

Unsafe Food Premises

Any business which sells food of any kind, prepares food for sale or includes food as part of a package (such as accommodation providers) is considered to be a Food Business. Contact Lane Cove Council’s Environmental Health Officer on 9911 3626 if you witness any unsafe food practices or notice dirty premises.

Other Government Authorities

If you have an issue that is not the responsibility of Lane Cove Council you can report them as per below (let us know if we have missed any issue).

Bus Shelters

Report dirty, damaged or maintenance issues to do with bus shelters directly to Adshel


Most local littering issues should be reported to the Lane Cove Council. However, littering from a car should be reported to the EPA.

If you see someone littering from their vehicle, you can report them to the EPA. Fines from $250 for an individual and $500 for a corporation can be issued from your report.

To report littering from a vehicle you need to

  • have actually seen the litter being thrown, or blown, from the vehicle
  • provide the vehicle registration details and the location where the littering took place
  • report the incident within 14 days

You can report the issue here.

Storm Damage

For storm damage to trees, buildings and flooding, contact the State Emergency Services on 132 500 or visit the State Emergency Service website. If you would like to join the local SES who do a great job find out more here.

state emergency service ses

Burst Water Pipe

If you spot a broken water pipe call:

  • Water Emergency 132 090
  • Water Supply 132 092

burst water main


If you see a broken Telstra pit lid, plate or cables on the footpath call 132 203.

RMS Roads

For damage, debris, signals, potholes contact the RMS:

There are only a few RMS roads in Lane Cove, which are basically the Gore Hill Freeway, Burns Bay Road/Centennial Avenue to Epping Road and the Pacific Highway.

Traffic Light Faults

Contact RMS Traffic Management Centre on 131 700.

Street Lighting

Ausgrid is responsible for all street lights, wire and poles. They can be contacted online via

Or by phone:

  • Electricity Emergency 131 388
  • Residential supply 13 13 65
  • Trees power lines 13 13 65
  • Graffiti / vandalism to Ausgrid property 131 535
  • Faulty street lights to Ausgrid or call them on 1800 044 808.

Gas Supply and Pipes

If you smell gas in the street or on your property before or including the gas meter, you should call the Gas Leaks and Emergency services on 1800 GAS LEAK (1800 427 532) to locate and repair the leak. If, however, you believe the leak to be after the meter on a section of pipe work connecting your appliances, or on the appliance itself, you should contact a licensed gas fitter to rectify the problem. Remember, any person undertaking work involving gas must be appropriately licensed.

Abandoned Trolleys

Coles Abandoned Trolleys
You can report an abandoned trolley:

  1. by calling 1800 TROLLEY(1800 876 553);
  2. downloading the free Trolley Collect App;
  3. report via the Snap Send Solve app or website; and
  4. or filling out the online form.

Woolworths Abandoned Trolleys
Phone: 1800-641-497
Online form: trolleytracker.com.au/Report

About Life
Phone 1300 434 154
Online form:  http://www.aboutlife.com.au/contactus

Easy Reporting Mechanism

An easy way to report most of the above issues is Snap Send Solve – This app is designed to help you quickly and easily report issues to local government. Take a picture of the problem, upload it with the app and it is sent to the relevant local council using GPS data.

Let us know if there if we have missed any issues and we will continue to update this list.

Do you have a local issue you would like help with? ITC is here to help just email us at info@inthecove.com.au

  • Sign up for the weekly In the Cove Newsletter
  • Like us on Facebook
  • Follow us on Instagram @inthecove
  • Tweet us on Twitter @InTheCoveITC
  • Pin us on Pinterest inthecoveITC
  • Tell your friends about ITC (they will thank you!!). Remember to tell them that ITC is a website and they do not have to have access to any Social Media to enjoy ITC – we often speak to people who tell us they want to follow ITC but don’t have Facebook or Instagram account (you don’t need them)