Construction has started on the new Mindarie park at the corner of Kullah Parade and Mindarie Street. The new park will be approximately 6,300 sqm.
This is great news for Lane Cove North. You only have to drive down Mowbray Road to see the number of new apartments and the influx of new families to Lane Cove North.
Funding the Park
A few months ago, the Member for Lane Cove and Minister for Planning Anthony Roberts announced that the NSW State Government would contribute $1 Million towards the planning and designing of the new Park. The additional funding is from the Accelerated Open Space and Parklands Program implemented by the Office of Open Space and Parklands.
Mayor Pam Palmer told ITC that LCC had budgeted $3 Million towards the design and construction of the new park. However, a quantity surveyor’s report estimated that the more likely cost is in the region of $4 Million. The money contributed by the State Government will ensure that comprises will not be made to the approved design. This is really good news as at one stage LCC did discuss whether they should scale the project back.
Today Anthony Roberts and a number of Lane Cove Councillors inspected the Park’s progress. The playground is starting to take shape and one of the design feature is play equipment that is wheel chair accessible.
Mindarie Park will have:
- Off-street parking;
- Table tennis;
- Play equipment;
- Full size basketball court (at last). This will mean two full sized public basketball courts in Lane Cove as one is currently being constructed at Kingsford Smith Oval;
- All abilities access toilet block;
- Serpentine walking path;
- Multi use open lawn area;
- Meeting circle/outdoor classroom;
- Multi use platform/stage;
- Picnic shelter, table setting and barbeque;
- Pump track for skateboards, scooters and bikes;
- Multi use games area;
- New turning facility; and
- Potential community garden
Do you have a local issue you would like help with? ITC is here to help just email us at email@example.com
- Sign up for the weekly In the Cove Newsletter
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Instagram @inthecove
- Tweet us on Twitter @InTheCoveITC
- Pin us on Pinterest inthecoveITC
- Tell your friends about ITC (they will thank you!!). Remember to tell them that ITC is a website and they do not have to have access to any Social Media to enjoy ITC – we often speak to people who tell us they want to follow ITC but don’t have Facebook or Instagram account (you don’t need them)