Lane Cove can now boast to have another of its residents hit the big time in the entertainment industry. Born and raised in our leafy foreshore community, Jayden Rathsam Hua has achieved rapid and outstanding success overseas and is now bringing his enthusiasm for film production to his hometown. And the best news for Lane Covians is that he is seeking talent for his latest production – An ambitious short horror film produced by graduating Masters Students at the Australian Film, Television and Radio School.
SUSHI NOH is a surreal horror film that explores the vivid monstrosities that plague children’s nightmares. The story follows a young Asian Australian child who encounters a strange sushi-making kitchen appliance whilst staying with unpleasant Uncle Donnie. Over the course of the evening, the child’s abstract nightmares surface to reality by twisting and warping Uncle Donnie’s body into a perverse creature borne from the seeds of a child’s darkest fears.
Jayden is searching for two lead roles!
- Eli/Ellie – male or female aged 9-12 of Asian ethnicity
Eli/Ellie is an exuberant child with a wayward imagination who finds themselves confined to stay at their unpleasant Uncle Donnie’s house. As the sun sets, their nightmares surface into reality and they must fight to escape a surreal fever dream from the darkest reaches of their own mind.
- Uncle Donnie – aged 30-55, Asian ethnicity
Donnie is an abrasive, cold uncle who barely tolerates the responsibility of minding his young nephew/niece over the course of a weekend. However, having a child in his house becomes the least of his concerns as he transforms into a nightmarish creature.
If you, or someone you know, is interested in auditioning for these roles, Jayden would love to hear from you. For more information about this production and to find out about other major roles available, please register your interest at https://www.starnow.com.au/listing/1056052/actors-required-aftrs-horror-thriller-short-film/.
Shortlisting is happening NOW and auditions will take place on 22 and 23 February at the Moore Park studios of AFTRS, next to Fox Studios in the Entertainment Quarter. Filming is scheduled for late April through to early May although the child actor will only be required for about four of those days and must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian.
Your Name in the Film Credits
Sushi Noh is an entirely student funded film and would greatly benefit from community funding. If you would like to make a tax-deductible contribution to the financing of this project and be featured in the credits, please visit:
10 Things You Should Know About Jayden Rathsam Hua
- Won ‘Best Documentary’ at the Ann Arbor Lightworks Film Festival.
- Won the ‘Spotlight Filmmakers Gold Award’ at the Atlanta International Film Festival.
- Finalist for the ClickOnDetroit Film Competition.
- Won ‘Judge’s Choice’ at the Ann Arbor Lightworks Film Festival.
- The Michigan Daily featured Jayden’s award-winning documentary, The Key of B.
- Currently developing two feature films scheduled for production in late 2020 and 2021 and looking for talent.
- Prolific producer for online web series and content.
- Prior to film, worked at Legal Aid.
- A graduate of law, Jayden uses his knowledge to ensure a compliant production landscape so parents and all talent can be assured of a safe working environment.
Devoted to producing Australian content in Australia with Australians for a global audience.
Be in the Know with In the Cove
To make sure you don’t miss Lane Cove info sign up to our newsletter. It comes out every Wednesday Night at 7.30pm and includes a wrap up of everything posted on our Facebook site in the previous week.