A Street Library is where people share, leave and take books (for free). It is a place where you meet fellow book lovers. It’s also a way to ensure books are reused and recycled.
The Street Library movement has been gathering momentum for a while. A not for profit organisation called Street Library has created a register of street libraries.
One Lane Cove street library is registered on their list. It is located in Longueville on the corner of Stewart and Dettmann Avenue. Find out more here. It is lovingly nicknamed the Tardis (you can see from our cover photo why this is an appropriate name).
Now the Lane Cove Council has jumped on board and is calling for street library expressions of interest. They are seeking colourful and appropriate designs for their first two street libraries in Lane Cove. They would love an original design. The design is to include a nod to the local area with a literary theme.
The final designs need to be of a high standard in both concept and execution while recognising public safety concerns and durability. The commissioned artist will be paid a total payment of $750 (GST inc.) for completion of the two Street Libraries.
Applications must be received by Monday 15 January 2018 – visit www.lanecove.nsw.gov.au/lovewhereyoulive for the detailed brief and specifications.
If you are handy with a hammer and you have a creative streak, this is the ideal project for you. It is not yet known where the street libraries will be located.
Do you know of any other street libraries in Lane Cove? Would you use a street library?
Do you have a local issue you would like help with? ITC is here to help just email us at email@example.com
- Sign up for the weekly In the Cove Newsletter
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Instagram @inthecove
- Tweet us on Twitter @InTheCoveITC
- Pin us on Pinterest inthecoveITC
- Tell your friends about ITC (they will thank you!!). Remember to tell them that ITC is a website and they do not have to have access to any Social Media to enjoy ITC – we often speak to people who tell us they want to follow ITC but don’t have Facebook or Instagram account (you don’t need them)