Yesterday I found myself starring Gen Z in the face and I felt old. My neighbour and I held a garage sale. She was selling some old land line phones. For some reason one of my daughter’s friends took a like to the landline phones (must have been the groovy square buttons and the cord). He purchased the phone for $1.00. After the transaction, he proudly said – “It will work after I insert the SIM card”. Oh no Gen Z thinks all phones have a SIM Card. This made me feel so old. Then I started to think of all the other things that make me feel like I am getting old.
Here is my top ten list:
- You can’t stand to listen to Triple J and you sing along to Elevator Music;
- You don’t know what Twerking is and if you did you would hurt yourself doing it (By the way Twerking is – a dance move that involves a person shaking their upper hips and lower hips in an up and down bouncing motion, causing them to shake, wobble and jiggle.)
- You chose comfort over style (okay I admit it I wore flat shoes to a Pink Concert when my friend told me she had booked tickets on the floor and not in the seated section);
- You think YOLO is a type of yoghurt to aid digestion. (YOLO is in fact slang for you only live once);
- You ask where your glasses are (when they are on your head);
- You don’t leave the house until you have checked the weather;
- You constantly say did you tape that programme (when you are using IQ);
- You join a sports team and every week another player does a hammy, groin or knee;
- You start saying things that your mum used to constantly say to you (including things that just don’t make sense – i.e go to the car and grab the groceries your legs are younger than mine); and
- You love a nanna nap.
Is this happening to you? What other signs have you seen?