Residents who live on the River Road West and Bridge Street Bend can guarantee you one thing, if it is raining there will be an accident. Residents have told In the Cove that on a rainy day there are between 3 to 5 accidents on this bend. They are concerned that one day there will be a fatality.
The Residents have asked Roads and Maritime Services to assess the bend, however, they have only visited the site on sunny days. As ITC has found out before, RMS statistics and what happens in real life are not the same. As there is no requirement to notify authorities of minor incidents, this skews the data.
Here are two vehicles who ended up on the sidewalk after taking the turn. How lucky is it that no-one was walking on the sidewalk at the time they lost control of their vehicles?
Here are some near misses – the one thing these accidents all have in common is that the road is wet and very slippery.
River Road West between Longueville Road and Burns Bay Road is a high traffic area and there have been numerous accidents on this stretch of road for a considerable time. The Lane Cove Council has been working on making this stretch of road safer for a considerable time. The Lane Cove Council devised a road traffic scheme in 2014 designed to reduce accidents. Speed is always an issue in accidents on River Road West. The speed limit was reduced from 60 km/h to 50 km/hr.
Further steps need to be taken. Residents are sick of having to help out motorists on this intersection. They have also suffered property damage.
What can we do about this?
- If you have teenage kids who drive in Lane Cove, make sure you tell them to slow down on this intersection.
- Contact RMS and ask them to look into this bend. You can contact them here.
- Contact the Lane Cove Council and ask them to step up their review of this bend. You can email them here.
Do you have a local issue you would like help with? ITC is here to help just email us at [email protected]
- Sign up for the weekly In the Cove Newsletter
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Instagram @inthecove
- Tweet us on Twitter @InTheCoveITC
- Pin us on Pinterest inthecoveITC
- Tell your friends about ITC (they will thank you!!)