Rotarians are busy People of Action! There are approximately 1.2 million Rotarians worldwide actively serving and supporting their communities. The Lane Cove Rotary Club has over 30 local members and they really do change lives.
What does Rotary do?
Lane Cove Rotary is about connecting people and initiatives to make projects happen! Through their network, their charity, their support teams of Partners, like-minded Volunteers, and generous Benefactors, Lane Cove Rotarians commit to serving humanity, working together locally and internationally.
Rotary has 6 Areas of Focus:
- Peace and conflict prevention/resolution;
- Disease prevention and treatment;
- Water and sanitation;
- Maternal and child health;
- Basic education and literacy; and
- Economic and community development.
Lane Cove Rotary Projects
Lane Cove Rotary provides support and co-funding assistance to:
- the Small Grants projects in Indonesia;
- Heartland Academy School in Kathmandu, Nepal;
- Hippo-Rollers for simple, cheap, effective clean water transport in India with Rotary Club of Chatswood Sunrise; and
- Shelterbox Australia to provide self-contained emergency disaster relief accommodation kits (Rotary Lane Cove would like to thank Jack & Co and their 20c Tuesday program for assistance with raising money)
Lane Cove Rotary supports the following Lane Cove charities, sporting clubs and programmes;
- Lane Cove & Northside Community Aid Services (Lane Cove & North Side Community Services is a local not-for-profit organisation that helps residents to live a quality and independent life in their own home and in their community. Local Support for Local People. They provide services to the aged and people living with a disability including Social Activities, Gardening, Nursing, Podiatry, Community Care Advisory, clean sheets and towels, home delivered meals, home modifications and maintenance);
- BowelCare (This programme aims to increase community awareness of bowel care and to encourage early detection of potential or actual bowel cancer);
- Lane Cove Swim Club (the Lane Cove Swim Club promotes swimming at all levels from elite training to friendly races, everyone is welcome);
- Prostate Cancer Foundation Australia (In 1994 the television personality, Roger Climpson OAM, a member of the Rotary Club of Lane Cove, was successfully treated for prostate cancer. Roger was concerned by the confusing information available to him and by the apparent lack of research into the disease being carried out in Australia. In 1996 he persuaded fellow club members to join him in forming Prostate Cancer Research Foundation (PCRF) to raise funds for research and Lane Cove Rotary has been raising funds ever since);
- Diabetes awareness through Walk Around the World;
- MS Trish Foundation;
- The Salvation Army Annual Red Shield Appeal (Lane Cove Rotary organises volunteers and staffs the collection centre);
- The Lane Cove Rotary Village Fair always held in the second week of October (this is Rotary’s major fundraiser to assist in community fundraising). This year the fair will be held on 9th October 2017.
Lane Cove Rotary Youth Services
Lane Cove Rotary has provided assistance and funding for the following:
- Lane Cove Schools Public Speaking Competition;
- Lane Cove Youth Orchestra’s Annual Music Camp;
- Lane Cove Synergy Youth Centre programs;
- Taldumande – Local emergency housing for troubled youth;
- Funding an attendee at a National Youth Science Forum; and
- Funding an attendee at the Rotary Youth Leadership Camp.
Lane Cove Vocational Pride of Workmanship Awards
The Rotary Pride of Workmanship awards were first launched in 1975 to encourage pride in personal performance in the workplace. The motto is Do it Once – Do it Well. ITC was the keynote speaker at this year’s event. ITC spoke about the benefit of supporting local businesses and the importance of our local community. This year’s recipients were:
- The team behind The Village Observer (Jocelyn Biddle, Mariano Massa and Sharon Curby):
- Bern the Chef;
- Roshni Shar from Gavin Starr Pharmacy; and
- Jennifer and Jeremy Ryan (who run a local gardening and landscape business)
Lane Cove Rotary Meetings and Guest Speakers
Lane Cove Rotary meets every Tuesday night at 6:15pm at the Lane Cove Golf Club with interesting topics and engaging fellowship! Lane Cove Rotary has some really interesting guest speakers. You do not need to be a member to come along and listen to the speakers. In the Cove lists the speakers in our Events Calendar.
So next time you see a Lane Cove Rotarian working away at a BBQ or collecting money, say hello and thank them for all the volunteering work they do. If you would like to become a member of Lane Cove Rotary you can find out all the details here.
Do you have a local issue you would like help with? ITC is here to help just email us at [email protected]