For one week in 2009, Longueville Road Lane Cove was transformed into the notorious Golden Mile located in Kings Cross. Lane Cove looked very seedy.
Today, you probably don’t walk down Longueville Road and immediately think “gee Lane Cove and Kings Cross are similar”. However the producers of Underbelly: The Golden Mile saw it differently. Apparently, Longueville Road was the ideal location as the layout and width of the road was similar to Kings Cross.
The Longueville Shops were transformed into infamous Kings Cross Nightspots such as The Love Machine, Porkys and the Pink Pussycat. Longueville Road was a no go zone and even Sydney Buses were diverted around the filming location.
Three times during one week, Longueville Road looked just like Kings Cross. Neon signs were put up and taken down each day.
Even though there is a Commonwealth Bank on Longueville Road, the sign had to be changed to reflect the logo in the 1980’s (way before the black and gold logo was introduced).
Thank you to roving reporter Skye Evans for providing us with the images below.
The Pink Pussycat entrance was in fact, the stairs leading up to the second floor of Central Arcade.
Did you see Underbelly The Golden Mile being filmed? Do you have any snaps?
A scene from Muriel’s Wedding was filmed at Riverview. Does anyone have any pictures of the filming?
Do you know of any other films or TV series filmed in Lane Cove?
Perhaps you would like to have your home or street featured in a movie or television show. Lane Cove Local Luke Torrevillas works for a location scouting firm – read more HERE.
Do you have a local issue you would like help with? ITC is here to help just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sign up for the weekly In the Cove Newsletter
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Instagram @inthecove
- Tweet us on Twitter @InTheCoveITC
- Pin us on Pinterest inthecoveITC
- Tell your friends about ITC (they will thank you!!). Remember to tell them that ITC is a website and they do not have to have access to any Social Media to enjoy ITC – we often speak to people who tell us they want to follow ITC but don’t have Facebook or Instagram account (you don’t need them)