The Lane Cove Theatre Company and other Lane Cove performing arts groups have been asking for a permanent performance space in Lane Cove for many years.
Lane Cove Theatre Company alongside the Lane Cove Concert Band, Lane Cove Youth Orchestra, local choirs, local dance schools and other performing arts groups have banded together to bring attention to the lack of a performing arts space in Lane Cove.
The Lane Cove Youth Orchestra has not held a concert in the Lane Cove area for years. The Lane Cove Theatre Company must bump in and out their stage and lighting equipment before each performance. It is not just the local community organisations that need a space, it is also our local schools. The Lane Cove Public School has outgrown its school hall and they need a venue to present their school plays.
The arts community think they might have found a possible venue in the middle of Lane Cove. Think how nice it would be to go out to dinner and then wander along to a play or performance in the heart of Lane Cove.
As part of this site, Council is proposing to enter into a Voluntary Planning Agreement (VPA).
Under an agreement like this the developer, in return for taking control of some council land, includes in the development something for the public’s benefit such as community space.
The community space allocated in the proposed in Coles redevelopment is approximately 100sqm located on Burns Bay Road, with 750sqm located below street level.
Council will determine the exact use of the space once the Development Application has been determined and there is greater certainty in the opportunity proceeding.
From now until Friday 2 November 2018, Lane Cove Council is accepting submissions from the community on the proposed development and what to do with the community space. You can find out more information on the proposed development here.
The Lane Cove arts community is strongly encouraging everyone who would like to see a performance space in Lane Cove to send a submission to council.
To have your say, make a submission to the General Manager quoting the reference number SU5266. You can submit via:
- Post – PO Box 20, Lane Cove NSW 1595;
- Fax – (02) 9911 3600; or
All supporting documentation for this proposal is also available for viewing at the Civic Centre (48 Longueville Rd, Lane Cove), Lane Cove Library (Library Walk, Lane Cove) and Greenwich Library (48 Greenwich Road, Greenwich).
The performing arts group are asking you to make a submission which includes the following:
- the importance of the performing arts to you and your family;
- how you think a performing arts space will contribute to the economic and cultural wellbeing of the local community;
- and anything else that you think will help council in their decision.
If you would like a performing arts space in Lane Cove then help out by making a submission.
Do you have a local issue you would like help with? ITC is here to help just email us at email@example.com
- Sign up for the weekly In the Cove Newsletter
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Instagram @inthecove
- Tweet us on Twitter @InTheCoveITC
- Pin us on Pinterest inthecoveITC
- Tell your friends about ITC (they will thank you!!). Remember to tell them that ITC is a website and they do not have to have access to any Social Media to enjoy ITC – we often speak to people who tell us they want to follow ITC but don’t have Facebook or Instagram account (you don’t need them)