No Suspicious Circumstances Surrounding Lane Cove Public School Fire but Asbestos Found

    Yesterday the Lane Cove Public School Hall and Canteen were totally destroyed by a fire that swept through the hall.  

    NSW Fire and Rescue Spokesperson Rob Jansen told ITC that their fire investigator has listed the cause of the fire as undetermined.  The fire could have started in the roof.  The fire was not suspicious (unlike some grass fires that have been deliberately lit in Lane Cove over the last couple of months)

    Despite the fire being contained to the hall and canteen, the plumes of smoke were thick and black.  The cause of this smoke is the numerous plastic chairs that were stored both inside and outside the hall.

    NSW Fire and Rescue spokesperson said asbestos sheeting had been found in the rubble of Lane Cove Public School’s hall and canteen.  The asbestos has been coated with PVC Glue and marked with blue food dye.

    Demolition Crews and other tradesperson have been working on the site to clear the debris.

    The site has now been handed back to the Department of Education.  An air quality expert will assess the site for safety.

    Parents wanting to be kept informed should follow the Lane Cove Public School P and C Facebook page as they have been posting updates from the Principal.

    No more FOMO – be a Lane Cove Legend