ITC loves Australia Day! This year Australia Day falls on a Saturday however the official public holiday is Monday 27th January 2020. It’s unAustralian not to love a long weekend. All the activities below (unless otherwise stated are on Australia Day 26th January 2020).
Australia Day Lane Cove Shops, Cafes, and Restaurants
This year Australia Day falls on a Saturday however the official public holiday is Monday 27th January 2020. Both Woolworths and Coles will be open on Australia Day and the Australia Day Public Holiday. All cafes and restaurants in Lane Cove will be open on Sunday 26th January 2020. Many restaurants in Lane Cove close on a Monday so they will not be open on the Australia Day public holiday. We will publish a list of coffee shops etc open on the Monday public holiday very soon.
Enjoy a free performance of Aussie classics to celebrate Australia Day this year.
Sail into Australia Day with the Lane Cove 12 Ft Sailing Club184th Regatta
How about finishing Australia Day off at the Alcott with their Trivia Night?
Australia day is one of their favourite holidays at the Longueville Sports Club (aka the Diddy) and they want to celebrate with you at the start of the new decade. With $10 Aperol Spritz and $7 Pints on offer, they are planning to celebrate in style this year. Reservations are essential if you would like a table so get in early to secure your spot!
Games in the Park – Helen Street Reserve
- This Sunday 26 January 12.30-4 pm
- Helen Street reserve, Lane Cove North
- Bring and share lunch with your neighbours. We need you to be self-sufficient with food, drink and utensils and hope you may like to share a favourite food with everyone.
- They will play new all-age games from Crayons
- All afternoon: Join in with our neighbourly activities such as table tennis, bocce, volleyball, giant chess, frisbee or utilise various provided sports equipment. Pre-schooler treasure hunts by request!
- Origami fun for Children: Learn to create a flapping butterfly at 3pm.
Put it in your diary now!! We look forward to seeing you soon. They cancel for inclement weather.
From the Lane Cove Community Chaplaincy team.
0400 299 751 (Karen)
Australia Day at Four Frogs Crêperie 🇦🇺
FOUR FROGS LANE COVE IS LOCATED AT 115-119 LONGUEVILLE RD
Australia Day Snags
For those kicking back with a cold one, you might well be thinking BBQ, or even more specifically, Sausage Sizzle. Did you know that it is UN-Australian not to have a sausage on Australia Day?!
Well the crazy gang at Hummerston’s Gourmet Meats have just the banger for Australia Day – it is their famous Lamb, Cheese & Vegemite snags, pictured below.
If you are having a BBQ at home then let the guys at Porters Northwood help you out. Of course to be really Australian you might want to sink a few Bob Hawke’s Lagers. If you are having a big shindig If you need to stock up on drinks in advance of the day, Porter’s Liquor also stock a good range of grog, and they will also deliver your order, along with ice and glasses too if required! Make sure you contact them before Australia Day to arrange delivery.
Usually, on Australia Day the Fireworks are at Circular Quay – this year they have been cancelled.
Double Demerit Points
Drive safely its a Double Demerit weekend. Double demerits start on Friday 24 January and run through to Monday 27 January (inclusive). The double demerit points period applies from midnight of the start date to midnight on the finish date.
Do you have a local issue you would like help with? ITC is here to help just email us at [email protected]
- Sign up for the weekly In the Cove Newsletter
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Instagram @inthecove
- Tweet us on Twitter @InTheCoveITC
- Pin us on Pinterest inthecoveITC
- Tell your friends about ITC (they will thank you!!)