This week for Foodie Tuesday, we have invited a guest food blogger to share a favourite recipe with us.
“My name is Fareshta and I am a local Lane Cove resident and mum to one year old Jacob.
I am a working mum and the blogger behind ‘My Baby Gourmet’ food blog, and related Facebook page. On my blog, I share simple yet very tasty and nutritious recipes suitable for the whole family, including babies as young as 6 months of age!
I have always had a passion for eating well and cooking delicious food and hope to share my ideas, of teaching our kids to eat well from a young age, with others.
Red Kidney Bean Korma
- 2 cups red kidney beans (soaked overnight or canned is ok to use)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large brown onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 large carrot peeled and chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- salt & pepper (optional)
- On medium heat, add oil in a saucepan and saute onions
- Add garlic and cook until aromatic
- Add tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes until the soft, add herbs and spices then add 1/4 cup water and stir to make a tomato sauce
- Add carrots and beans and another 1/4 water
- Cover and simmer on medium heat for 30 minutes or until the beans are soft enough to mash between fingers
- Serve with rice or eat as is with bread!
Red kidney beans are one of the healthiest foods around. What I love most about red beans is that they are available all throughout the year. Both dried and canned varieties are inexpensive and easy to cook into a flavour filled dish the whole family can enjoy, not to mention it is packed with essential nutrients. It is also easy to freeze, which means you can cook up a big batch and store for later!
This has been one of my favourite dishes since I was a child, I don’t think my version is as good as my mum’s but it’s close enough! Jacob really loves it too, especially with rice. I think he takes after his mumma!