The Lane Cove 50m Outdoor Pool was closed on Monday 17 December 2018 due to urgent safety concerns. This closure was earlier than planed. A outdoor pool was to be redeveloped once Lane Cove Council had completed the Rosenthal Avenue Car Park Redevelopment. A rapid decline in the pool’s concrete structure meant the pool was closed prior to the 2019 peak summer swimming season.
The Pool is in the process of being demolished.
Lane Cove Pool Construction Costs
Lane Cove Councils received a grant of $2,000,000 from the Federal Government. The Member for North Sydney, Trent Zimmerman announced the grant in March, 2019. He was concerned the Pool was decommissioned and the community was without such an important community asset. This funding will ensure that both the Outdoor Pool and the Grandstand construction can now be constructed concurrently.
It is estimated that the Pool and Grandstand will be completed in time for the summer swimming season 2020.
Crystal Pools To Build the Pool
At the next Lane Cove Council Meeting, the Councillors will vote on awarding the tender to design and construct the new 50 metre Outdoor Pool to Crystal Pools Pty. Ltd. The construction cost will be $3,862,970 (ex gst) plus any selected options. This does not include the Grandstand construction costs.
Crystal Pool completed the Hornsby Aquatic Centre and the Broken Hill Outdoor Pool (pictured below).
Crystal Pools has built many Lane Cove residential pools. They also have a commercial division. They recently built the state of art Carlile Swimming Pool at Lane Cove West.
Here’s hoping ITC will see you swimming laps in a 50 m Outdoor Pool in 2020.
Do you have a local issue you would like help with? ITC is here to help just email us at [email protected]
- Sign up for the weekly In the Cove Newsletter
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Instagram @inthecove
- Tweet us on Twitter @InTheCoveITC
- Pin us on Pinterest inthecoveITC
- Tell your friends about ITC (they will thank you!!). Remember to tell them that ITC is a website and they do not have to have access to any Social Media to enjoy ITC – we often speak to people who tell us they want to follow ITC but don’t have Facebook or Instagram account (you don’t need them)