A home built by one of Lane Cove West Pioneers is on the market. Elijah Charlish Junior built 123 – 125 Centennial Avenue Lane Cove. The Charlish Family made a huge impact on Lane Cove West and Charlish Park is named after the family.
History of 123 – 125 Centennial Ave Lane Cove West
Elijah Charlish Snr arrived in Sydney on July 3rd, 1853 aboard the ship Meteor and he was accompanied by his wife Eliza (nee Cooper). Eliza died in 1856 and Elijah remarried Brigid Martha McDonagh. Elijah and Martha would have two children, Elijah Jnr and a daughter Alice.
In 1856 Elijah was granted over thirteen acres in the area bounded by Burns Bay Road, Penrose Street East and Best Street. The land supported an orchard, piggery and at one point, a boiling-down works. The family home was built adjacent to Penrose Street and had views over Burns Bay.
In 1883 Elijah Jnr married Eliza Napier and they had 5 sons and 2 daughters. By 1874 Elijah Snr had purchased an additional 16 acres of land between Cullen, Hallam and Barwon Ave. It is believed this land was gifted to Elijah Jnr as a wedding present.
Elijah Snr died in 1893 and his widow Martha died 12 months later. They are buried side-by-side at Gore Hill Cemetery. Elijah Jnr would follow in his father’s footsteps and establish another large dairy farm and piggery in Lane Cove.
The photo above is World War I enlistee, probably Alfred George Charlish, son of Elijah Charlish Jnr, later husband of Mary Bassett, on the verandah of the Charlish home on the corner of Barwon Road and Centennial Avenue, Lane Cove West.
Home Purchased by Miss Jean Randall
This home was purchased in 1952 by Miss Jean Randall. Miss Randall was very much a reclusive and apart from family, nobody stepped foot inside the home for over 50 years.
Miss Randall worked at The Sydney Morning Herald, and after her retirement, the Herald sent a copy of the newspaper to the house every day, as was the newspaper’s custom in those days.
Miss Randall’s sister-in-law was responsible for much of the gardening which transformed the rural farmland yard to the current English-style garden, resplendent with roses, arches and curved paths. All the surviving roses have the most extraordinary perfume, and are true ‘old fashioned’ roses.
Grand Federation Residence on over 1,400sqm
The house is sprawled across two titles on an immense 1,410.1sqm (approx.) block with access via Currawong Avenue. It is a magnificent circa 1896 Federation Arts & Crafts residence. It’s one of Sydney’s few remaining examples of this classic architectural movement, this tightly held family home combines the generous space, charm and romance of a bygone era with quality contemporary updates amidst a stunning garden setting
The house is enveloped by a striking timber return verandah, central arched entry and established rose gardens.
– Arched entry leads to vast combined living/dining with polished timber floors
– Updated gas kitchen with quality stainless steel appliances and ample storage
– Four double bedrooms includes two with deluxe contemporary ensuites
– Paved entertaining terrace complete with outdoor kitchen and fireplace
– Geberit bathroom fixtures, heated flooring and ducted reverse cycle air conditioning
– French doors, turned timber posts, ornate timber brackets, marble door treads
– Wraparound verandah, enclosed level gardens and access via Currawong Ave
– A double corner block with potential entry from Barwon Road
Reference: Washington, Judy ‘The Charlish family – pioneers of Lane Cove West’, Lane Cove Historical Society Newsletter, No.100, March 1994, pp. 1-4.