Lane Cove Council has notified residents of Finlayson Street and Coxs Lane of permanent changes to street parking in Finlayson Street and Coxs Lane in preparation for the opening of The Canopy carpark in December 2019. The Canopy will have 500 car spaces and there will be early bird parking on the lower level. Read more about early bird parking here.
The following traffic changes will be introduced (see our cover photo)
- Introduction of ‘No Parking’ restrictions on the northern and southern sides of Finlayson Street between Rosenthal Avenue and Coxs Lane.
- Introduction of ‘No Parking’ restrictions on the eastern and western sides of Coxs Lane between Finlayson and Sutherland Streets.
- Introduction of ‘No Parking’ restrictions on the western side of Coxs Lane between Finlayson Street and Birdwood Avenue.
- Installation of a roundabout at the intersection of Finlayson Street and Coxs Lane.
Lane Cove Council has stated installing ‘No Parking’ zones will allow safe passage of two-way traffic on these streets.
Work will commence the week beginning 11 November 2019.
New Roundabout Finlayson and Coxs Lane
The construction of the roundabout at the intersection of Finlayson Street and Coxs Lane will commence when the current construction traffic diversions are no longer in place. The roundabout will act as a traffic calming device to improve safety at the intersection and reduce traffic speeds along Coxs Lane. The speed of the vehicles in Cox’s Lane will be monitored once The Canopy is open to determine if further measures are required.
Lane Cove Council noted these changes will impact residents in the immediate vicinity, however they will make a significant contribution to ensuring appropriate traffic flow to accommodate The Canopy and Village Centre traffic generally.
New Lights Burns Bay Road/Tambourine Bay Road and Coxs Lane
The new traffic lights at Burns Bay Road/Tambourine Bay/Cox Lane will not be installed until after The Canopy is open.
Lane Cove Council considered a proposal for redirecting through traffic around the Lane Cove Village on 19 September 2016. Lane Cove Council agreed in principle for the construction of a Lane Cove Village By-Pass. Lane Cove Council’s plans were put on display for community consultation.
In May 2017 Lane Cove Council resolved to implement the following traffic changes:
- The signalisation of Burns Bay Road/ Tambourine Bay Road/ Coxs Lane proceed and Council undertake the detailed design including for submission to the RMS for approval;
- The necessary land for the signalisation of Burns Bay Road/ Tambourine Bay Road/ Coxs Lane be acquired;
- The full closure of Sutherland Street at Coxs Lane intersection proceed and Council undertake the detailed design for submission to the RMS for approval;
- Three months after the implementation of Parts 1 and 3 above, Council undertake a survey of traffic flow in Graham Street to determine if parking should be restricted to one side of Graham Street;
- Indented parking bays be constructed and parking be restricted to one side of Coxs Lane between Finlayson and Sutherland Streets, to coincide with the opening of the new Rosenthal Avenue Car Park;
- The land located at the north-eastern corner of Coxs Lane/ Finlayson Street (17-21 Finlayson Street) to facilitate the indented parking bays be acquired;
- Subject to an appropriate design being developed, a roundabout be constructed on the corner of Finlayson Street and Coxs Lane;
- Parking be restricted on both sides of Finlayson Street between Rosenthal Avenue and Coxs Lane, to coincide with the opening of the new Rosenthal Avenue Car Park;
- Council work with the RMS to signalise the intersection of Epping Road/ Coxs Lane to facilitate a right hand turn onto Epping Road; and
- Participants in the consultation and affected residents be notified of the Council’s decision.
Do you have a local issue you would like help with? ITC is here to help – email us at [email protected]