Sydney Speech Clinic online Speech and Occupational Therapy sessions are taking flight!
Sydney Speech Clinic has been providing online therapy services for several years to children and families who live long distances from Sydney. While we love seeing our families at the clinic, in their home, or at their school/daycare, the use of online therapy allows us to extend our services to reach families who may otherwise be unable to access therapy to get the support they need. During this time of social distancing, we are so pleased to be able to continue to work towards your therapy goals from the safety of your own homes!
Online services are fun and flexible and take on many different forms depending on the kind of therapy that is required. Our online service can be used for assessments, therapy sessions, parent education, teacher education, home program monitoring, small groups, case conferences and any number of support meetings.
Online therapy is suitable for a wide range of needs and can be a great way to support your child whilst home-schooling:
- Literacy support – our preferred phonics program, Sounds-Write, can be effectively taught online with support materials for home practice (it can be fun too!)
- Intensive speech and language therapy – we know that regular practice is essential for improvements in speech and language skills
- Parent education – teaching parents of toddlers how to accelerate their language development is easily implemented via online sessions
- Stuttering therapy – strong evidence exists for stuttering therapy via an online modality
- Handwriting and fine motor skills – our Occupational Therapist can effectively treat handwriting skills using online coaching
- Activities of Daily Living – our Occupational Therapist can observe and support a child carrying out their daily living tasks at home
- Feeding and Mealtime management – both Speech Pathologists and Occupational Therapists can offer online support during feeding and mealtimes for both children and adults
So… what does an online therapy session look like?
A parent can choose to use an online session in many ways depending on their child’s goals and the environment in which the therapy will be taking place. The therapist may, for example, share screens, apps and pictures with children working on their speech or language goals, work together with a child to edit their written work, observe a child playing with their own toys, analyse their conversation with siblings, assess gross motor skills by watching them complete a homemade obstacle course or joining them virtually over lunch for a mealtime observation. Online therapy is our favourite tool for assessing a child in their “natural” environment!
We have received a great deal of positive feedback from clients regarding online therapy over the recent months, and have found amongst the team that we are reaching significant positive outcomes across a wide range of populations.
We look forward to catching up “virtually” with our existing clients and families as well as welcoming new clients to this dynamic approach to assessment and therapy for Speech Therapy and Occupational Therapy.
Give us a call if you would like to find out more.
Be a Lane Cove Legend
To make sure you don’t miss Lane Cove info sign up to our newsletter. It comes out every Wednesday at 7.30 pm and includes a wrap up of everything posted on our Facebook site in the previous week.