Lime Leaf Fruit Market, located under Coles, is a great place to visit to stock up on fresh fruit and veg, and they aren’t shy to suggest ways to use the daily specials they find at the market.
This week, for Foodie Tuesday, Emma from Lime Leaf shares a recipe she thinks would be perfect to make with the fab tomatoes and capsicum that Vince picked up at the markets this week.
Tomato, Capsicum & Chilli Salsa
1 red capsicum, halved, deseeded
1 green capsicum, halved, deseeded
250g (1 punnet) cherry tomatoes
4 green shallots, trimmed, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
1-2 small fresh red chillies, deseeded, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons fish sauce
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 garlic clove, crushed
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
– Preheat grill on high. Place the capsicums, skin-side up, under preheated grill and cook for 8-10 minutes or until charred and blistered. Transfer to a heatproof bowl, cover with a plate or foil and set aside for 10 minutes (this helps lift the skin).
– Meanwhile, place the tomatoes on a baking tray and cook under preheated grill, turning once, for 4-5 minutes or until golden.
– Peel the skin from the capsicums and finely dice the flesh. Place in a medium bowl. Finely chop the tomatoes and add to the capsicum.
– Add the green shallots, coriander, chillies, lemon juice, fish sauce, oil, sugar and garlic, and mix well. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
– Transfer the salsa to a serving dish. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes to develop the flavours or place in the fridge to store.
This salsa will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before serving. Serve as a dip or as an accompaniment for barbecued meat, chicken or fish.