Our Health and Wellness bloggers, Kat and Ash from Body Fusion are back to share one of their favourite recipes
Hello In the Cover readers,
We are excited by the warmer weather and feeling great with all the fresh spring foods that are now around – we hope you are too! The recipe we are sharing with you today is one of our and our clients favourites – Ricotta, Zucchini & Basil Pasta Salad.
Three reasons why we love this recipe:
- High in calcium: the ricotta cheese provides some highly bioavailable calcium and the broccoli adds a plant source of calcium! Important for growing bones/teeth and maintaining bone mass especially in ladies over the age of 55 or after menopause due to a drop in the protective hormone estrogen.
- High in fibre: wholewheat pasta, chickpeas and the insoluble fibre from vegetables delivers prebiotics to the gut. This helps feed the healthy bacteria that live in our intestines, promoting a healthier immune system, helping ease constipation and lowering cholesterol.
- Low in glycaemic index: padding out the pasta with lots of vegetables and beans means the carbohydrates from the pasta will be delivered in a nice slow way, giving sustaining energy and limited spikes in blood sugar.
IT IS FAMILY FRIENDLY! (Tried and tested on kids – of all ages!)
Ricotta, Zucchini & Basil Pasta
Makes: 4 servings
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
- 1 cup of dry spiral pasta
- 1 x tin chickpeas, drained
- 1 tbls olive oil
- 3 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 large broccoli heads, cut into florets
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¾ cup reduced fat smooth ricotta cheese
- 3 tbls pine nuts
- 1 bunch basil leaves
What to do:
Bring 2 cups of water to the boil, add pasta and cook until al dente (approx. 15 mins). Drain and set aside.
In a large frying pan add 2 tsp olive oil and cook zucchini, broccoli until tender. Add the cherry tomatoes and cook for another 2 minutes or so.
Add pasta, chickpeas & ricotta to the pan, adding 2 – 3 tbls water to form a smooth textured sauce.
Serve each plate ¼ of the pasta mixture, top with pine nuts & basil leaves.
*TIP: Cook a double portion and have as a cold salad the next day !
For more recipes and personalised ways to improve your health, visit or call us today!
Wishing everyone health & happiness
Kat & Ash
Address: 221 Longueville Rd Lane Cove, New South Wales, Australia
Phone: 0410 533 213
Web: Body Fusion
Facebook: Body Fusion
Do you have a local issue you would like help with? ITC is here to help just email us at email@example.com
You can subscribe to our newsletter by filling out the form at the bottom of our homepage. Our newsletter is sent out every Wednesday Night at 7.30pm and includes details of Lane Cove Events for the next seven days or so, and articles you may have missed during the previous week.