It’s official Lane Cove residents are embracing the War on Waste. Since the War on Waste series aired on ABC television, In the Cove has been inundated with people asking how Lane Cove can join the war on waste and reduce landfill.
Well, here’s a way we can all easily get involved – by taking part in Plastic Free July.
Plastic Free July aims to raise awareness of the problems and amount of single-use disposable plastic in our lives and challenges people to do something about it.
You’ll be joining a million+ people world-wide from 130 countries in making a difference.
You can sign up for a day, a week or the whole month and try to refuse ALL single-use plastic or try the TOP 4: plastic bags, water bottles, takeaway coffee cups and straws.
More than 6 out of 10 of us are already refusing plastic shopping bags, avoiding pre-packed fruit and veg, picking up other people’s litter and avoiding buying bottled water.
Choosing to be part of the solution, you can act by:
- Avoiding products in plastic packaging (choose alternatives)
- Reducing where possible (opt for refills, remember your reusable shopping bags)
- Refusing plastics that escape as litter (e.g. straws, takeaway cups, utensils, balloons)
- Recycling what cannot be avoided
Are you in for the Plastic Free July #choosetorefuse challenge? Register HERE.
Want to see these tips in action? Come along to the Plastic Free July pop up stalls in the Plaza on Thursday 20 and 27 July, 10:00am – 12:00pm.
As part of the Plastic Free July month, you may also want to think more about recycling. You can read our Top Tips for Recycling in Lane Cove HERE.
Do you have a local issue you would like help with? ITC is here to help just email us at [email protected]
- Sign up for the weekly In the Cove Newsletter
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Instagram @inthecove
- Tweet us on Twitter @InTheCoveITC
- Pin us on Pinterest inthecoveITC
- Tell your friends about ITC (they will thank you!!). Remember to tell them that ITC is a website and they do not have to have access to any Social Media to enjoy ITC – we often speak to people who tell us they want to follow ITC but don’t have Facebook or Instagram account (you don’t need them)