Local caterer and all-round fab lady Bern the Chef shares a recipe for her more-ish Pickled Paw Paw Relish.
Bern said “I serve this relish with Roasted Pork Belly, with Baked Kurobuta Ham, or with Coconut Poached Snapper. It looks like a relish, and it smells like sweet coconut vinegar, ginger & coriander seed.”
Pickled Paw Paw Relish.
500 grams white sugar
500 mls coconut vinegar
500 mls water
200 grams fresh ginger, finely julienned
1 head of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
Two large peeled green hard paw paw, white pearls inside removed and shredded
Muslin bag with 2 tablespoons coriander seeds, 1 tablespoon whole cloves, 2 tablespoons white peppercorns, 2 cinnamon sticks.
6 whole kaffir lime leaves
6 x 500 ml sterilised jars and lids.
To a large pot, add the water, vinegar, sugar & muslin spice bag, bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the ginger, garlic & paw paw. Bring back to the boil and then turn heat down to simmer for 1 hour, making sure the paw paw is translucent.
Have sterilised jars ready, and hot fill your jars with the cooked hot relish. Add a lime leaf to each jar and hot fill with the cooked hot relish, lid immediately, heat seal in a steam oven at 120’c for 10 minutes.
Label and store in a cool dark place.
This relish is ready to use one month after making, and shelf life is approximate 12 months.
Keep opened jar in refrigeration.
Do you have a local issue you would like help with? ITC is here to help just email us at [email protected]
- Sign up for the weekly In the Cove Newsletter
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Instagram @inthecove
- Tweet us on Twitter @InTheCoveITC
- Pin us on Pinterest inthecoveITC
- Tell your friends about ITC (they will thank you!!). Remember to tell them that ITC is a website and they do not have to have access to any Social Media to enjoy ITC – we often speak to people who tell us they want to follow ITC but don’t have Facebook or Instagram account (you don’t need them)