On 9 October 2017, several apartment garages were broken into in Mindarie Street and Mowbray Road Lane Cove North. ITC also received reports of garages being broken into the previous week in Lane Cove North. It’s time to upgrade your locks.
These thieves knew what they were doing. They broke into the room that housed the CCTV hard drive and dismantled it. Items stolen included wine, champagne, beer, tools, golf gear, suitcases, and clothing. There could be more thefts as not everyone checks their garage storage units daily (when ITC lived in a Lane Cove apartment it took Mr ITC four weeks to discover his golf clubs were missing). If you live in a unit on Mindarie Street or Mowbray Road check your garage storage area.
The LAC North Shore Command Crime Prevention Officer confirmed they had four reports of theft from garages and one report of items being stolen from a motor vehicle.
These thefts follow a couple of other incidents that occurred in Lane Cove North last week.
A Facebook follower would like your help. Her husband’s bicycle was stolen from their apartment’s garage in Lane Cove North either Wednesday or Thursday night. They had only owned the bike for 3 months and saved for months to get it. They have reported the theft to the police but really only want the bike back.
It’s a Giant 2018 Roam 2 in black. If anyone has any information please contact North Shore LAC. You can also report bike theft here.
This week some vandals decided to knock down traffic and street signs on Mowbray Road. You can read more about this here.
There were no reports of car thefts. Here are some steps you can take to minimise the chance of your car being broken into or stolen.
- Don’t leave your house unlocked while you are at home;
- Don’t leave the key in your car;
- Always tell your neighbours when you are away;
- If possible, park your car in your driveway (and have sensor lights installed in your driveway);
- Do not leave your property (including loose change, shopping bags, etc) in plain view in your vehicle, even when it is locked;
- Be on the lookout for someone who is acting suspiciously, e.g. looking in windows/checking parked vehicles. Make a note of the person’s appearance, clothing, weapon (if any) and call the police immediately. You can report any crime or suspicious activities anonymously; and
- Invest in Security Cameras, the cost of security cameras have decreased lately and you should speak to local experts Alert Locks and Security for some recommendations. Make sure your security cameras are located in a room with a secure lock.
Do you have a local issue you would like help with? ITC is here to help just email us at email@example.com
- Sign up for the weekly In the Cove Newsletter
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Instagram @inthecove
- Tweet us on Twitter @InTheCoveITC
- Pin us on Pinterest inthecoveITC
- Tell your friends about ITC (they will thank you!!). Remember to tell them that ITC is a website and they do not have to have access to any Social Media to enjoy ITC – we often speak to people who tell us they want to follow ITC but don’t have Facebook or Instagram account (you don’t need them)